There are people who walk around largely failure-less. The near-perfection of the facade is nauseating. Even they might be a little disturbed by the whole thing, wondering when the downfall is to come. Braced and ready for the hit. These people, we suspect, are not entrepreneurs.
For too long, failure has found itself aligned with the negative, roped into a narrative of disappointment and even despair. But as these 10 famous entrepreneurs are about to tell us, failures are simply what you make of them, and are just as powerful as a successes when it comes to the positive development of your life. Especially in business.
Failures, in this sense, are the very thing that prevents stagnation, arrogance and heading further down the wrong path. So it’s time to embrace the fact that when we fall down, we’ve learnt that there’s a pesky crack in the pavement, one that we need to look out for next time if we don’t want to fall again. Or something like that.
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”
– Thomas A. Edison, American businessman and inventor of the phonograph, motion picture camera and electric light bulb
“Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness.”
– Oprah Winfrey, American media proprietor, talk show host, actress, producer, and philanthropist
“Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can’t lose.”
– Bill Gates, American business magnate and Co-founder of Microsoft
“Only in failure do you reach success. You can only get to the good stuff when you’ve done the hard stuff.”
-Kate Hudson – American actress and Founder of Fabletics sportswear brand
“Winners are not afraid of losing. But losers are. Failure is part of the process of success. People who avoid failure also avoid success.”
– Robert T. Kiyosaki, American businessman, investor, and author of the ‘Rich Dad Poor Dad’
“Failure is so important. We speak about success all the time. It is the ability to resist failure or use failure that often leads to greater success. I’ve met people who don’t want to try for fear of failing.”
– J.K. Rowling, British Author, Screenwriter and Film Producer
“Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations.”
– Steve Jobs, Co-founder and CEO of Apple Inc, and CEO of Pixar Animation Studios
“Success is most often achieved by those who don’t know that failure is inevitable.”
– Coco Chanel, Founder of the Chanel fashion house brand
“Surviving a failure allows you more self confidence. Failing is a great learning tool, but it must be kept to an absolute minimum.”
– Jeffrey Immelt, American businessman and CEO of General Electric
“If you’re not failing every now and again, it’s a sign you’re not doing anything very innovative.”
Woody Allen, American Actor, Comedian, Filmmaker, and Playwright